UCI Rules - 2002:
Non-standard wheels in conformity with article 1.3.018:
Article 1.3.018 relates only to group races (in packs).
In this type of event, the riders generally use standard (conventional) wheels which are clearly defined in article 1.3.018. These wheels are authorised de facto.
However, during races in packs, certain riders do use non-standard wheels (rims higher than 2.5 cm, fewer than 16 spokes, spoke thicknesses of over 2.4 mm). If any of these conditions is noted, the wheel is deemed to be a non-standard wheel and must have passed a break test in order for it to be authorised for use in competition.
The manufacturers inform the UCI of the names of wheels which have been successfully tested. The names of these wheels are shown in the list below. The wheels can therefore be clearly identified. If this is not the case then the wheel is not authorised for use.
- Ada wheel - V profile (50mm)
- Ambrosio Onda (jante/rim Focus or FCS 28)
- Ambrosio X Carbo
- Clincher Pro front wheel (16 rayons / spokes)
- XL Levitation " 16, 24 rayons / spokes "
- XL Elevation " 16, 24 rayons / spokes "
ATLANTA 96 " 28, 32, 36 rayons / spokes " (production stoppée en 1999)
- NEUTRON Tubular
- NEUTRON Clincher
- SCIROCCO G3
- ZONDA G4
- ZONDA " 18 rayons / spokes " (production stoppée en 1999)
- Aéro boyau " 18 et 24 rayons / spokes"
- Aéro pneu " 18 et 24 rayons / spokes"
- Citec 3000 aluminum ( 16 rayons / 16 spokes )
- Citec Ultralite aluminum (20 rayons / 20 spokes)
- Citec Jet aluminum (16 rayons / 16 spokes)
- Light Weight Carbon Fiber
- Galaxium - jante alu - ailettes carbones sur rayons
- RA Antara " 28 rayons / spokes"
- RA Antara " 18 rayons / spokes"
- Speed Lite " 18,24 et 28 rayons / spokes "
- Gipiemme Grecal 28''
- Gipiemme Tecno Star 28''
- Gipiemme Tecno 024 Race 28''
- Gipiemme Fulcrum 28''
- ALPS 700C (18 rayons / spokes)
- Tetragon (16 rayons / spokes)
- Zephir (16 rayons / spokes)
Nippon Mitsubishi Oil Corporation:
- Cosmic Carbone SSC
- Cosmic Elite 2 (jante/rim CXP 30)
- Ksyrium SSC
- Ksyrium SSC SL
- Ksyrium Elite
- Nisseki carbon wheel AM27 (18 rayons / spokes)
- Stratus DV (16 rayons/spokes)
- Stratus DV - UL (Carbon) (16 rayons / spokes)
- WCS/Pro DS 27 (16 rayons / spokes)
- DT Bladed Aero Spokes (20 rayons / spokes)
- Comp DS (20 rayons / spokes)
- Rolf Prima Vigor - aluminium clincher front wheels (14 rayons / spokes)
- WH - 7700 & WH-7701 Normal
- WH - 7700 & WH-7701 carbon tubular
- WH - 7700 & WH-7701 alloy tubular
- WH - R535
- WH - R540
- WH - 6500
- DURA-ACE aluminium (16 rayons/spokes)
Sunny Crown Enterprise:
- Spinergy SRX (2B02) " 20-28 rayons / spokes "
- Spinergy SR3 (2S02) " 20-28 rayons / spokes"
- Spinergy X AERO (PRI-FC-111) " 16-20 rayons / spokes"
- Spinergy X AERO LITE (2L02) " 18-20 rayons / spokes"
- Spinergy X AERO CARBON " 16-20 rayons / spokes"
- Sunny Crown Enterprise CKT Carbone (16 et 18 rayons / spokes)
- CKT AURORA Carbon (16 rayons / spokes)
- Thorius - model SHADO Carbon - pneu (16/20 rayons / spokes)
- Thorius - model SHADO Carbon - boyau (16/20 rayons / spokes)
- Thorius - model N'ERA (24 rayons / spokes)
- Bontrager X-Lite Tubular
- Bontrager X-Lite Clincher
- Bontrager Race Lite Tubular
- Bontrager Race Lite Clincher
- Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon
- Bontrager Race X Lite Aero
- Bontrager Aero Tubular
- "Vector Comp" (Rolf)
- "Vector Pro" (Rolf)
ZIPP Speed Weaponry:
- ZIPP 303 (Z3) Tubular 700 c (jante/rim ZIPP 280)
- ZIPP 303 Tubular 650 c (jante/rim ZIPP 245)
- ZIPP 404 (Z4) Tubular 700 c (jante/rim ZIPP 360)
- ZIPP 404 Tubular 650 c (jante/rim ZIPP 330)
- ZIPP 404 Clincher 700 c (jante/rim ZIPP 505)
- ZIPP 404 Clincher 650 c (jante/rim ZIPP 460)
- ZIPP 303 Clincher 700 c (jante/rim ZIPP 415)
- ZIPP 303 Clincher 650 c (jante/rim ZIPP 370)
Wheels of the bicycle may vary in diameter between 70 cm maximum and 55 cm minimum, including
the tyre. For the cyclo-cross bicycle the width of the tyre shall not exceed 35 mm and it may not
incorporate any form of spike or stud.
For massed start road races only wheel designs granted prior approval by the UCI may be used.
Wheels will have minimum 12 spokes; spokes can be round, flattened or oval,
as far as no dimension of their sections exceeds 10 mm. In order to be granted
approval wheels must have passed a rupture test as prescribed by the UCI in a laboratory approved
by the UCI. The test results must show that the rupture characteristics obtained are compatible with
those resulting from an impact sustained during normal use of the wheel. The following criteria must
Without prejudice to the tests imposed by the laws, regulations or customs, standard (traditional)
wheels are exempted from the rupture test referred to above. A traditional wheel is deemed to be a
wheel with at least 16 metal spokes; the spokes may be round, flat or oval, provided that no
dimension of their cross sections exceeds 2.4 mm; the section of the rim must not exceed
2.5 cm on each side.
- On impact, no element of the wheel may become detached and be expelled outwards.
- The rupture must not present any shattered or broken off elements, or any sharp or serrated surfaces that could harm the user, other riders and/or spectators.
- The rupture characteristics must not cause the hub to become separated from the rim in such a way that the wheel becomes detached from the forks.
Notwithstanding this article, the choice and use of wheels remains subject to articles 1.3.001 to
(text modified on 1.01.02; 1.01.03).